White Sage (Salvia apiana) is one of the most sacred herbs among indigenous North American people. This plant is native to high desert ecosystems and grows prevalently in California and in the Mountain West. For hundreds of years, white sage has been considered a sacred, cleansing, purifying, and protective plant. Smudging with White Sage is known for driving out negativity, destroying airborne bacteria and spiritually cleansing you and your space. Cleansing with the smoke of white sage is a wonderful thing to do when moving into a new home, after an argument, after illness, if you suspect a danger, or just to revitalize your space. You can smudge your home, work place, car, yourself, pets, or loved ones.
1. Open any windows or doors to allow the smoke to flow freely throughout your space and to the outside.
2. To begin, ask your "higher power," god, spirit guide to help you cleanse, heal and purify your space.
3. Hold a flame next to the bundle until it catches fire. Allow the flame burn for about 30 seconds. Gently blow the flame out. You can also place it on a heat-proof surface like an abalone shell to ensure the flame doesn't become too prevalent. You can re-light your sage bundle when and if needed.
4. Once the smoke is going, use your hand, feather, or your own ritual tool to direct the smoke up and over your body. You can do this from your feet up to your head and back down again. When smudging a room, start at a door or entry way. First, smudge the outside of the door. Come back inside and start smudging your space by moving in counter-clockwise motions (this technique is used to take the negative energy out of the space). As you do this, try to visualize the smoke removing any negative energy or darkness.
5. When you are finished smudging, place your sage into a heat-proof surface, like an abalone shell. You can let this burn out or extinguish the stick completely.
Keep in Cool & Dry Place
Keep out of reach of children.
Make sure ashes fall on fireproof surfaces, (ashtrays or incense holders).
Never leave burning incense unattended.
Not for human consumption & not tested on animals.